Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Clear bra installer

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Clear bra installer
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just ordered a '16 STi. Should be here in late July.

I'm considering having a clear bra installed. Does anyone have a shop in the Folsom/Sacramento area that does great work?

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
50deep know maybe, he had the regular bra on that termy

[ 2015-05-31, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: 135.0 ]

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd stay away from those clear bras. I put one on my wife's car and after a year it rotted. When I went to take it off it pulled some of the paint off. Still got some of that crap on there.
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Secnd2nun64:
I'd stay away from those clear bras. I put one on my wife's car and after a year it rotted. When I went to take it off it pulled some of the paint off. Still got some of that crap on there.

I've heard mixed reviews. Thanks for the feedback.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I've been considering a clear bra for a couple of my cars, so this is good to know. What brand was this?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have had a clear bra on my wifes `14 suby fxt for a year, been through 100+*f temps and -20*f temps, after a quick spray and wipe down with 303 and a MF towel it still disappears like new cant even see the edges.

I heard bad stuff about some of 3M's bra's, so we went with xpel, which carries a 7 year warranty.

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
have had a clear bra on my wifes `14 suby fxt for a year, been through 100+*f temps and -20*f temps, after a quick spray and wipe down with 303 and a MF towel it still disappears like new cant even see the edges.

I heard bad stuff about some of 3M's bra's, so we went with xpel, which carries a 7 year warranty.

Thanks for the info. What was the cost? I'm willing to pay more if it's a superior product.

[ 2015-06-01, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: iceman302 ]

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd just keep it detailed etc well, I think it will look far better a few years down the road. I've never known anyone to remove one after a few years and not have some damage. People say "a guy said" quite often, but all I've seen, there are issues.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
quote:

Thanks for the info. What was the cost? I'm willing to pay more if it's a superior product.
it depends on how much you want done. The dealer we got our suby from (hueberger, they beat all dealers in CA by almost $6k on our loaded touring fxt) wanted $350 just for a little bit along the edge of the hood, the fronts of the side mirrors, and the door handle pockets...completely ignoring the part of the car I really wanted to protect - the front bumper cover. They wanted an additional $1500 just to do that part (?!) and they used the older 3M product.

I had a local tint place that I've used for years that does great work do the bra, total front bumper, front hood, mirrors, door handle pockets, and then tinted the front side windows, sunroof (which is huge on the forester), and a tint strip along the top of the windshield for ~$1k

-

-

-

The car has spent the last year in CO, with an 80 mile/day commute on snow roads with gravel and sand. So far so good and there has been no rock chips. That last picture is the car on the winter wheels/snow tires.

most people can't see the bra film other than the door handle pockets, it's only easy to see the edge of it around those.

[ 2015-06-01, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

+1 on the xpel

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
quote:

it depends on how much you want done. The dealer we got our suby from (hueberger, they beat all dealers in CA by almost $6k on our loaded touring fxt) wanted $350 just for a little bit along the edge of the hood, the fronts of the side mirrors, and the door handle pockets...completely ignoring the part of the car I really wanted to protect - the front bumper cover. They wanted an additional $1500 just to do that part (?!) and they used the older 3M product.

I had a local tint place that I've used for years that does great work do the bra, total front bumper, front hood, mirrors, door handle pockets, and then tinted the front side windows, sunroof (which is huge on the forester), and a tint strip along the top of the windshield for ~$1k

The car has spent the last year in CO, with an 80 mile/day commute on snow roads with gravel and sand. So far so good and there has been no rock chips. That last picture is the car on the winter wheels/snow tires.

most people can't see the bra film other than the door handle pockets, it's only easy to see the edge of it around those.

Too funny. I ordered mine from Heuberger too.

Anyone else have good experience with Xpel?

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blu50Stang:
quote:

I've been considering a clear bra for a couple of my cars, so this is good to know. What brand was this?
It is/was a 3M.

Here's a pic of what's left on the middle grill bar where the emblem is. I have no idea what can take it off without ripping/damaging the paint.

-

[ 2015-06-01, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Secnd2nun64 ]

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A steamer is how the pros remove tint and clear bras. Pulling off clear bra without steam is a fast way to pull your paint as well. I have tried both dry, and with a steam machine (marketed to women for hair) and the steam machine is the only way to go.

And stay the phuck away from 3M clear bra. I had 3M clear bra put on my garage queen car a couple years ago (they may have changed their formula since then), and the clear bra turned yellow within about a year. It rarely ever saw sun.

ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I helped a friend remove her's. I used a steamer, also removing the film at an angle helped. I don't think I'd ever buy a clear bra. Rock chips are okay with me, It means I drive my car [Big Grin] [burnout]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com