Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Just got convinced to swap in an ls1 motor (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Just got convinced to swap in an ls1 motor
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Read and tell me what you think?
Found this post while looking for info on mm kmember and long tubes. Posters name is hpbob. site is ls1tech.com

hpbob1's , 03-31-2010 02:35 AM
Why I went LS from a ford 302 or 351W in my fox
As a former ford only guy I am going LSX 6.0 Lq4 into my 1985 ford mustang hatch because of the following: for 750.00 (used wrecking yard motor) I got 364 cubes, aluminum water pump, 15 degree aluminum heads 317's that flow like twisted wedge ford aftermarket heads with 210 intake runners 2.00 intake valves 75 exhaust, aluminum deep dish truck pan, factory windage tray, 6 bolt mains, a block that will never crack no matter how much boost I throw at it (these blocks have been to 1800hp), factory gun drilled crank reliable to 1200 hp, factory crank fired ignition system with way less friction and timing slop (just add the MSD 6010 box for 300.00 and I have a crank fired digtial 7 type setup with built in 2 step and rev limiter, boost retard etc, factory truck coils that have been well over 1000 hp on boosted engines and have spark output equivelant to a a MSD after market coil, I simply add a good cam, valve springs, ARP rod bolts, free flowing cool air and exhaust and I have well over 400hp and 400 ft lbs of torque naturally aspirated (add factory L92 heads at 399.00 each and its 550hp) naturally aspirated. I bolt on my 550.00 S400 75MM turbo, cheap air to air intercooler, pump gas with meth injection, 93 lb injectors, Mega squirt fuel controller, built power glide tranny and stick this combo into my 2500 lb drag car roller with 3.73 gears and I have at least 800 to 900 flywheel hp with mid 5's in the 1/8th, and high 8's in the quarter at 15 to 18 lbs of boost.

After getting down tuning completely with the efi and MSD box, if I want to build this motor all I add are h beam forged rods and turbo forged pistons with aftermarket heads and I have a motor that will handle 1200 hp all day long. This puts me into low 5's in the 1/8th and low 8's in the quarter for a fraction of what it will cost me to build a ford 302 or 351W with a dart based block.

The cost of the dart block alone builds my whole LQ4 short block which is designed to have much lower friction throughout the motor, no distributor with resultant drag and mechanical timing slop not to mention all the extra money aftermarket distributor & ignition components, dart block, 2 step box, would cost me etc.

The LS motor is hands down WAY cheaper to build to go fast. Put it into the dirt cheap, aerodynamic, light with factory 4 link style drag friendly suspension, 8.8 stout light factory rear end, and rack & pinion front end fox body mustang and you have one hell of a cheap to build, wicked fast, awesome drag race car.

So for all you Chevy only or Ford only entire car purists consider this. When you see a funny car drag race, John Force in his mustang, and a Chevy guy in his camaro drag racing, look under the flipped up fiber glass body and you find a Hemi aftermarket block motor, with a Lenco trans and dana rear end. Not a damn thing on either car is Ford or Chevy. But the entire crowd is into rooting for Ford vs Chevy for their favored side.

Also look at all the Chevy guys with ford 9 inch rear ends, all the Mustang guys running power glides and turbo 400's etc.

Real drag racers have been mixing and matching all the best parts and bodies and motors in drag racing since the sport began in the 1950's.

Does anyone still not see the light???

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nope

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blasphemy!!! [Roll Eyes]
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How'd he get his '85 hatch to weight 2500 lbs?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Big dream, high hopes.
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:

Haha neight it's probably a stripped out drag car but 2500 is a nice car no matter what motor you put in it

--------------------
King Lx

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by i:
Big dream, high hopes.

Yea as does everybody else. Luckily I have time and space on my side. My good buddy has a garage to use and I'm trying to be smarter about the project, don't get it to a point where you either are waiting on big expensive shit or to where you can't move it. If I stick to those guidelines most the mods even the swap shouldn't impede to much on my sanity and the ability to keep and finish the car. Learned from my previous mistakes

--------------------
King Lx

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
quote:

Haha neight it's probably a stripped out drag car but 2500 is a nice car no matter what motor you put in it
Well I wanted to know some tips so I can put my car on a diet but without losing interior.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well I wanted to know some tips so I can put my car on a diet but without losing interior.
Reinforcement bats in the doors fiberglass fenders hatch maybe even doors lose all the electrical shit

--------------------
King Lx

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I tried to write down all the parts he listed in his post about his cheap LSX build. Here's a short thrown together list of parts and prices..... without shipping,tax or labor involved in building this so called cheap LSX build.
He left out pleanty of parts to complete the project...... But considering he's put a chevy motor in a Ford we can all assume he's not that bright anyways.
 -

Like I said a really quick list of the parts he listed in his build. It really starts to add up when you put it all together LOL.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love that you can take a picture of a notepad and post it on the internet, but wouldn't think to type all this on a computer.

something like an excel or google sheets spreadsheet that would auto-add the columns for you [Big Grin]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
I love that you can take a picture of a notepad and post it on the internet, but wouldn't think to type all this on a computer.

something like an excel or google sheets spreadsheet that would auto-add the columns for you [Big Grin]

I am at work. Ain't nobody got time for that.

--------------------

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

He wanted to show off his penmanship. [Razz]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Well the LSX swap will probably need a smog hook up. I forgot to add Neights hook up charge into the list. [Embarrassed]

--------------------

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LMFAO
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, it can be done. They are junkyard motors for a reason...people go through them like crazy.

To each their own, but I'll stick with my Blue Oval.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

When I tried to google lsx used motor prices, I couldn't find one for 750.00.....they were all well over a thousand bucks.

[ 2015-05-05, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: SLOWBACK 67 ]

--------------------

32VSTANG
¯
Member # 9803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 32VSTANG  Ford pictures for 32VSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:
 -

Lmao!!!!! Hahahahaha
Krz88lx
¯
Member # 4261

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krz88lx  Ford pictures for Krz88lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lol

--------------------
Krz4rd5

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
So I tried to write down all the parts he listed in his post about his cheap LSX build. Here's a short thrown together list of parts and prices..... without shipping,tax or labor involved in building this so called cheap LSX build.
He left out pleanty of parts to complete the project...... But considering he's put a chevy motor in a Ford we can all assume he's not that bright anyways.
 -

Like I said a really quick list of the parts he listed in his build. It really starts to add up when you put it all together LOL.

That's ducking expensive!!! But I'm doing everything up until the l92 heads so I'm way under that! Also I'm getting the motor tranny and wiring for 1500 team z k 360 and then whatever your list has that applied

--------------------
King Lx

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
 -

That's ducking expensive!!! But I'm doing everything up until the l92 heads so I'm way under that! Also I'm getting the motor tranny and wiring for 1500 team z k 360 and then whatever your list has that applied
When your done hit me up so I can smoke that shit lol. Good luck with build bro. Hope it don't fall apart on the engine stand
[Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never seen someone as undecisive as you lol and I thought I was bad haha. I vote stay ford powered or get a gm to do that swap with. It is your car though! Either way it would be a fun build not cheap by any means. I second the blasphemy comment.
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gohardgohome:
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:
 -

Lmao!!!!! Hahahahaha
Hahahahahah

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com