Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anyone seen this scary article?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone seen this scary article?
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's your thoughts?
I won't be buying new cars ever again if this is the case!

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-ford-others-want-working-own-car-illegal-160000229.html

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Holy Moly!! [Eek!]

I can see it now in prison. "Hey, what are you in for?"
"I'm in for attempted murder, how about you?"
"Well, I worked on my car".

Good grief.

[ 2015-04-26, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Marks93 ]

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see they want to start running a monopoly. [Roll Eyes] [BS flag]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fiftwyz
¯
Member # 8351

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fiftwyz  Ford pictures for fiftwyz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol that isnt gonna pass!!!
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Guess people will just start calling manufactures instead of employers [Big Grin]
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does this mean Obama is going to come take all my tools? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Lame ass 2006 3V GT. Low and slow, all bark, no bite.

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless you reside in China or North Korea I wouldn't worry . You must understand the economy would tank if persons could not fix there cars to go to work. Only the one percent of this country would be effected cause they too ignorant to fix anything.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe I'm missing something, but other than the headline the only thing they seem to be trying to stop would be tuning the computer.

If I read it correctly, this won't have any effect on you doing an oil change, replacing the brakes, replacing the muffler bearings, etc. Just can't mess with the computers.

very poorly written article, with a big bad click bate headline.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try tuning a dodge or Chrysler ecm almost impossible to do with aftermarket software.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Lemonade
¯
Member # 3692

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemonade  Ford pictures for Lemonade    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology. If it sounds ridiculous— it is.
What crock of shit. Wouldn't this be true for anything you purchase with software?? Afraid of pirating music??? Come on. Oooh, I'm going to steal music with my refrigerator!
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
maybe I'm missing something, but other than the headline the only thing they seem to be trying to stop would be tuning the computer.

If I read it correctly, this won't have any effect on you doing an oil change, replacing the brakes, replacing the muffler bearings, etc. Just can't mess with the computers.

Sounds about right.

quote:
Originally posted by Lemonade:
quote:
What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology. If it sounds ridiculous— it is.
What crock of shit. Wouldn't this be true for anything you purchase with software?? Afraid of pirating music??? Come on. Oooh, I'm going to steal music with my refrigerator!
[worship]

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Wouldn't this be true for anything you purchase with software??
That's the point. You modify some software on your computer and you brick your computer or wipe the disc, are you going to sue Dell, or HP or Apple?

You modify the software on your car and it blows up or crash, would you sue the auto maker or at least expect the automaker to fix the problem under warranty? A lot of people will.

Computerized engine control has been around for a long time but in newer cars almost everything is or will be will be computer controlled. Engine, transmission, steering, brakes and soon, self driving cars.

[ 2015-04-30, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
wcs1993
¯
Member # 11111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wcs1993  Ford pictures for wcs1993    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

What is really sad is you sound as if this is ok. Please explain to me why the government feels the need to dictate our lives and get involved with what we do to our property. I own my car, not the government, it seems they should pay attention to bigger issues going on in the world.

--------------------
93 EX CHP - Terminator swap, full MM
66 Convert 4spd, A code
03 Redfire Cobra Convertible
15 Ecoboost Fusion
98 SVT Contour
07 Expedition Limited

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wcs1993:
quote:

What is really sad is you sound as if this is ok. Please explain to me why the government feels the need to dictate our lives and get involved with what we do to our property. I own my car, not the government, it seems they should pay attention to bigger issues going on in the world.
I don't see the government dictating this, the software creators/mfgr's are pushing this issue.

It's been going this way for a long time, Ford especially has been denying warranty claims for powertrain failures when they discover the car has been tuned for the past few years.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com