Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Doing my 3G conversion, but I think i made a mistake (PICS)....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Doing my 3G conversion, but I think i made a mistake (PICS)....
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I picked up an alternator today and i went to install it, but mine has a few connectors the new alt. does not have. I know i need to have the new wire kit and stuff like that, but it just does not look right.

Can i use this alternator? If i can, do i need some kind of special wiring kit?

Here are a few pics of the alt:

-

-

[ 2015-04-10, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: KARATExxCHUCK ]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

9snake5
¯
Member # 10881

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9snake5  Ford pictures for 9snake5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like the correct alt and 50resto sells the 3g wiring conversion

--------------------
94 svt cobra
00 expedition

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
correct alternator so long as the mounting ears are the right spacing.

all you need is a fused 4awg length of wire from the alt to the fender solenoid, and a 3g spade plug for the single white/black stripe wire (or use a crimp on style blade connector on the wire), your existing D plug should plug right in.

you'll also probably have to grind a notch into the alternator bracket to fit the larger casing of the 3g.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 to that. Just get the wire & material from home depot and save your self some money. Great mod to do also [patriot]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
correct alternator so long as the mounting ears are the right spacing.

all you need is a fused 4awg length of wire from the alt to the fender solenoid, and a 3g spade plug for the single white/black stripe wire (or use a crimp on style blade connector on the wire), your existing D plug should plug right in.

you'll also probably have to grind a notch into the alternator bracket to fit the larger casing of the 3g.

Where can i find a fuse big enough for the in-line fuse? Every place i look, nothing.

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can get the wire and fuse at a stereo shop.
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

How dangerous would it be to run it without a fuse?

Im having a hard time finding a fuse for it.

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
How dangerous would it be to run it without a fuse?

Im having a hard time finding a fuse for it.

Charles [patriot]

Try harder, it's fused for a reason.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how broken is your google?

http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-R4ANL150-2-Gold-Plated-Fuses/dp/B00DQ5E8TU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1429663334&sr=8-5&keywords=150amp+fuse

Just cut your 4awg power cable at a convenient spot, solder each end of the fuse to one of the ends you cut on your 4awg power wire from the alternator. Make sure to use heatshrink tubing or electrical tape to insulate the base metal of the power lead or you'll create some cool sparks when you hook it up and touch something that's grounded with it.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com