Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 67 Shelby GT500 Clone (Page 7)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: 67 Shelby GT500 Clone
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's the trunk lip and the back panel which is now a "jam" since it will be covered with fiberglass.

-

--------------------
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things. "RIP George Carlin"

Posts: 886 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2008  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lookin good!

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
<<Thanks!

Jams are done!

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's gonna look real nice when it's done. What are your plans for the engine compartment? Are you going to weld up holes and hide any wires? Are you going to do it the same color as the car or black?

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

black, factory wiring, all original under hood except motor and most likely an aluminum radiator. [Smile] (My usual) lol Simple, easy, but clean.

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could even paint the raidiator black if you want it factory looking. [Wink]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

<<nah, nothin wrong with aluminum radiators. The engine will look pretty modded so it would probably look better natural.

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

...I'd really like to find a good cross-flow aluminum radiator though. Down-flows (stock configuration) are not ideal for cooling.

--------------------

940sick3
CAFords OG
Member # 2713

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 940sick3  Ford pictures for 940sick3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
patiently waiting for new pics

--------------------
87 5.0 LX coupe
68 Falcon futura sports coupe

Posts: 552 | From: everywhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking good,glad to see a beautiful classic in the making that's in good hands...keep up the great work can't wait to drewl when she's done... [patriot]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 940sick3:
patiently waiting for new pics

+1000. More pics please!! [Big Grin]
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When's the rest of the body getting paint?

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Paint is still moving along, ran into some issues with the price of paint ($500 per gallon wholesale) but that's taken care of. They are still doing the final sanding and prep so I'm hoping to see the base-coat and stripes done soon!

Meanwhile I picked up a set of used aluminum heads, Victor Jr copies. ..Same castings as I had on my old 418 stroker. Got a really good deal on them and they have very low miles. Here's some pics. I'm going to do some minor port-work on them and convert them so they have screw-in studs and guide-plates since they are currently set up for pedestals.

-
 -
 -
 -

[ October 24, 2010, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lookin good, i just tore everything but the suspension off my mach 1 and off to the media blasters it goes.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

<<Cool! We had a few cars media blasted in the last year or two and they warped the sheet-metal a bit. Wasn't too bad but still wasn't too happy with it. Make sure the final body guy has a good feel and/or eye for that sort of thing, and doesn't mind floating some filler where necessary. I've been told that soda blasting is better than some of the others.

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Are those heads Pro Comps?
Can't wait to see this thing painted!!!

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn someone played the Pro Comp card!? haha

I know there is a lot of talk about Pro Comp here on the forums, and everywhere else for that matter.

To answer the question...

Short answer is these are better, custom heads, my own brain-children. They are however machined of the same casting that is used by a lot of companies, not just Pro Comp. These castings were revised again as of this year, thank goodness for that. Don't get me wrong they are as Chinese as dental-floss-sunglasses, but not a bad casting at all.

Long answer is these are to Pro Comp as a Super Snake Shelby GT500 is to a v6 plain Jane 2005+ Mustang. Chew on that for a bit...lol

I've had some great experiences as well as some bad experiences with the older castings, but I'm not afraid to run them considering their upgrades, if they are built right. My old 418 Windsor stroker made 610 horsepower with the CNC'd, larger valve version of these, made from the exact SAME CASTING, reliably. It's the machine work, assembly, and parts that will make or break these literally.

Its my understanding that many companies, some small some large, are using these castings now and in the past, and are now having great luck with them. They are a great answer to horsepower per cubic dollar let me tell ya.

Like myself, a number of machine-shops are making them their own, by putting their own parts in them and doing their own quality of machining and porting, etc. I have these castings machined to my specs doing some of the work myself, and so far so good with my customers and colleagues' and our motors.

In my opinion in the near future, a lot of companies are going to be taking over where Pro Comp and some of the others left off, and finally making these a good all-around head. In their defense though, Pro Comp took it in the shorts for the early f-ups with the castings. I'm not endorsing their parts and workmanship, etc, just saying they would have been better off doing their thing with a better hunk of metal. For the price per core there wasn't anything better though. Their still isn't.

Nothing wrong with the name brands by the way, heck if I had the cash I'd go with a set of AFR's. I definitely endorse the lesser price of the new E-Street Edelbrock heads as well, however I can get a set of mine done up with better parts for a few hundred bucks less, and the finished result is a much better head that flows a ton more, hands down.

So excuse my rant and I hope this helps a few folks with their questions regarding PRO COMP heads and the other sister companies and related castings, etc. Most of all I just want to clear my name, I wouldn't waste my money and time on something that is junk. So would I buy a set from Pro Comp? Not unless I wanted to redo them to my specs. I love the castings though and I hope the Chinese keep up the good work and upgrades. I'm looking forward to a better future for these heads.

...Food for thought, I'd rather experiment with an inexpensive Chinese knock-off casting than a name-brand head. I know AFR and Edelbrock has the toe-hold in the industry at the moment, but these heads have been known to outflow them all when done right. I actually appreciate the Chinese for giving us Americans something to play and experiment with at a reasonable price!

If anyone wants to give these a try please let me know, I can get you a good price!

[ October 29, 2010, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Here's some pics of the CNC'd big boys I had on the 418. 2.08 inch intake valves and 225cc intake runners. I can't remember what the exhaust port cc's were but they were also BIG. Chambers were hogged out to 72 cc's to make room for the large valves, less shrouding for better flow, and provided 10.7 or so compression with the 418.

-

-

-

[ October 29, 2010, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

westang
¯
Member # 10384

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for westang  Ford pictures for westang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I personally think the 67 fastback is one of the best looking mustangs. My dad has a 65 and 66 fastback. How much did you pick that one up 4?
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

<<I do too, but I kindof like em all. It's hard to choose which era is the best. The fastbacks all have great lines. I got a reasonable deal on this one and it was a runner/driver. It needed a little tlc mechanically but not much. Cosmetically it was pretty tore back but no major rust and the body was straight. It's also a SAn Jose, CA car. I'm not inclined to state exactly how much I paid for it but it was a fair price, less than 20 grand. Now for as much as I'll have into it when I'm done? A LOT! lol

[ October 31, 2010, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

The port-work on the heads should be done this weekend. ...Just doing a little clean-up and gasket-matching, etc. Then they are off to the machine-shop for a resurface job and some better springs installed. I've already set them on a block and set up the screw-in studs and guide-plates. The valve geometry looks great, everything lines up nice.

I plan on running the big Comp Xtreme Energy cam XE294H, Advertised Duration 294/306, Lift .554/.558, 110 LSA, 250 intake, 256 exhaust @.050. 2,800-7,000 rpm power range.

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Almost ready! She's all masked up and almost ready for the booth. A few minor final details to smooth out and she'll be getting some color!

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to see it painted already [patriot]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

<<Me too, me too! lol

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Head porting is coming along nicely!

Exhaust ports look really good so far. Just about done, a little more work then some polishing will wrap them up.
 -

Intake ports still need a little work
 -

Intake manifold is coming along nicely, note the before and after
 -
 -

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  20  21  22   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com