Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 67 Shelby GT500 Clone (Page 5)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: 67 Shelby GT500 Clone
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fittin up the nose!

-
 -

--------------------
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things. "RIP George Carlin"

Posts: 886 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2008  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fit looks pretty good imo for an older car

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
<<Not bad at all. Still in the early stages though.
It actually looks like the hood needs the edge sanded down near the tip of the fender where it meets the nose. It has a good gap fore and aft but gets too close in that area. I'm sure they'll get it. Good ol fiberglass! lol

--------------------

87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87_Hatch  Ford pictures for 87_Hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great choice on the color and great project it's comming along nice! Have u thought about doing ur stripes and decals like ghost graphics with pearl so it's only visible in certain angles or also just a slightly darker shade of the green? Just throwing out ideas lol

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

Posts: 316 | From: redwood city, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

That was the initial plan but I'm having a hard time with the color being really close to dark grey in certain light. (some of the Lexus cars have this effect with this color I've noticed) and I don't want the car looking like eleanor with the darker stripes! lol

It's definitely still an option though (the pearl ghost effect) and might be the only option that will look right. We'll see, I'm still toying with ideas. I don't want anything drastic, nor do I want plain black or plain white stripes.

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Front is all fit, getting started on rear. Fitment is coming along really nicely.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Made a final choice on color yet? or still cant decide

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Definitely going with the Desert Sage Metallic in the picture I posted prior. Looks like I'm probably going with ghost stripes by modding the same color, or no stripes at all. We'll see about the stripes as it gets closer to painting time. Either way I want it to be subtle, nothing too loud.

--------------------

Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Termin8Him  Ford pictures for Termin8Him    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hurry up and paint that dirty girl. cant wait to see pictures of it all done. great job man. i wish i knew how to do body work.

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Thanks! I know, I can't wait until she has some paint on her!

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

So I'm getting some performance parts together for the car. The car is already equipped with a 10.7 compression 351w. So far I've acquired a complete 31-spline 9" rear with 3:50 gears and Posi, ceramic coated full-length Hooker headers, 750 Speed Demon carb, and a few other odds and ends.

I just dug up 2 different intake manifolds and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with. I'll be running stock heads for now but will be upgrading later, and a moderate to large cam.

I have an Offenhauser 360 (single-plane low rise with middle divider, good from 1800-8000 rpm) and a good-ol Performer RPM. I can also get my hands on a RPM air-gap if I want to.

I like the way both intakes look, but for some reason I'm really leaning toward the Offy 360 for looks and it's "potential" of horsepower is also desirable. It has a really wide rpm band.

Here's some pics I took today to help me decide...

...OFFENHAUSER 360 With 750 Demon
 -
 -

Performer RPM and 750 Demon
 -
 -
 -

What do you guys think? Any "real-life" feedback from experiences with both intakes would also be appreciated. I've run the RPM manifold on a few different cars, but never the 360.

--------------------

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive run the performer rpm before. better for the street. if you decide to go blow through the offy will be good. im looking for a low rise single plane manifold like that since the vic jr is so tall.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm a big fan of the rpm..... but I like your other one because you don't see them everyday.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Definitely don't see the 360 every day.

Offy claims that the 360 has great low-end and high-end, and no flat-spots inbetween.

A friend of mine ran a 360 on his BUILT Windsor for a while, then installed a Victor Jr. He said he missed the streetability and torque of the 360 and he didn't gain anything at high rpm with the Vic. He lost a ton of hood clearance and a ton of low-end torque with the Vic.

So I don't know, maybe Offy's claim is true.
It's definitely a mystery intake, but I can see how it may work with the right combo.

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ I know for a fact your not gonna have any hood clearance problems for your car. I know the 351 is a little taller but I can tell you my 302 has an RPM Air Gap, and I set a 2inch spacer under it and a 4inch air cleaner with a little room to spare. Shelby hood clearance FTW!!!

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

quote:
Originally posted by Slowback67:
^ I know for a fact your not gonna have any hood clearance problems for your car. I know the 351 is a little taller but I can tell you my 302 has an RPM Air Gap, and I set a 2inch spacer under it and a 4inch air cleaner with a little room to spare. Shelby hood clearance FTW!!!

Damn that's a lot of spacer! lol

I actually did some measurements since I have all 3 intakes available to me at the shop..

The rpm is 3/4" taller than the Offy, and the air gap is 1" taller than the rpm.

For hood clearance I'd say the Offy wins by a long-shot, the only thing I don't know is the performance comparison.

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

LOL . I'm not running the spacer With the Air Gap..... I just wanted to see how much clearance I'd have under the hood. I do know that 67-68 cougars have no kind of hood clearance with the stock hood.

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

<<< LOL, I must have misunderstood

So here's some technical info to back up the Offy..

..good tech read for the inclined

I have an old friend named Ed Mosler ...some of you might have heard of the guy. Ed is a well-known cylinder head porter and engine builder. Although he seems to prefer Fords, he designed the infamous Buick 3.8 V6 Grand-National motor back when he engineered for GM. The guy is an absolute legend and has over 40 years in the racing industry.

He built a few motors for me over the years that were badass to say the least, and I definitely trust his opinion. So I decided to ask him about the Offy intake.

Ed loves the Offy intake and gave me some great tech info on it as well as some advice on how it will work with my combo.

The Offy is a very misunderstood and improperly used intake, but when used in the right combination it makes incredible power.

..As Offy says in their tech descriptions, the RPM band depends a lot on what size carb you run. With a larger carb you lack some low-end, but no matter what the intake has great power all across the rpm range. ...much better than any of the Edelbrocks.

The problem with Edelbrock is that they don't make a good "all-around" performance intake. The Performer and Performer RPM make great low and mid-range power, but both crap-out at lower rpm ranges than they advertise,I'd say 5800 for the RPM intake and 5300 for the Performer instead of the advertised 5500 performer and 6500 performer rpm. I've noticed this to be true on some of my motors that I've run those intakes on. The Victor Jr, Victor Sr, and Super Victor all have great upper-end power nd rev to their advertized ranges, but just plain SUCK at anything below 3500-4000 rpm. So most guys that want real power and want to rev high step up to the Victor JR or Victor, and just live with the lack of bottom-end power.

The offy is truly the answer to this and that's what is was designed for. It's a short runner, open/divided plenum design, which is meant to run the engine as two 4-cylinder engines with 2 decent sized open plenums, and no pulse interference between the adjacent cylinders. So instead of having 8 cylinders fighting over the same air/fuel space, you have two separate plenums feeding 4 cylinders each. Very effective design and their throttle response and high rpm capability is very similar to an individual runner/stack setup or a Victor intake, while bottom end torque potential is comparable even to a regular Performer intake.

Ed Mosler states that with my combo I should run a 1" or even a 2" 4-hole spacer ...if I have the hood clearance, to speed up venturi speeds through the carb, adding a generous amount bottom-end torque to compensate for the large carb, without sacrificing higher rpm. In my case I would NOT need an "open" spacer since all that does is add plenum volume and higher rpm potential. The offy doesn't need that extra volume, and it would defeat the purpose the center divider.

So with that intake, my carb and a 1" 4-hole type spacer, the stock '69 heads, and a moderate to large cam, It should be an absolute beast and rev like a set of IR stacks! We'll see how it turns out.

So now I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM for sale if anyone is interested. lol

[ August 26, 2010, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Nice info......after seeing this intake up close, I want to try this one out....... When I have a motor it would work on. [Smile]
http://www.f-p-s.com/air_fuel.html

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Yeah the funnel webs are really nice for serious horsepower (600+). The owner of FPS (from your link) has become an acquaintance of mine over the last few years. He built the 418 in my old coupe. Great guy and he knows how to make Ford motors run hard as hell. If I weren't spending so much $ on the cosmetics of this car he would be building me a motor. lol

Another cool thing about the Offy intake is you can take a 4-hole spacer and weld it to the top, and then port the holes outward and into the roof of the plenums, and it will result in a 2-plenum style funnel-web with really fast carb venturi speeds. This is something my porter has done with great results.

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

-

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Nice lines looks like good a fit so far

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I really like the green on that s2000
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

<<<My color of choice. [Smile] Just trying to decide what color Im going to paint the stripes.

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

I think you shouldn't do stripes... That color is sexy enough on it own. [worship]

you should have someone on here do a Photoshop with and without them and see what you like more. [patriot]

[ August 27, 2010, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Slowback67 ]

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  20  21  22   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com